Thursday, May 31, 2007

"Cane Dewey"

For most of my life, I've been a big fan of American professional wrestling and what I'm about to put down is, in my opinion, the best ever interview in professional wrestling history.

August 1995--ECW Television Show Transcript

"I'm going to take you back to a very deciding point in my life--a time when I believed in something. A time when I thought that my face and my name made a difference. Do you remember the night, Tommy Dreamer, because it's embedded in my skull, it's embedded in my heart and it's embedded in every nightmare I'll ever have. As Terry Funk took a broken bottle and began slicing and dicing Cactus Jack, the pain was so much that, I'll be honest with you, Tommy, I wanted to say, 'I quit, Terry Funk, I give in, I wave the flag and I'm a coward--just please don't hurt me anymore.' Then I saw my saving grace. You see, Tommy, I looked out in that audience, my adoring crowd, and I saw two simple words that changed my life.

'Cane Dewey.' Somebody had taken the time and the effort and the thought to make a sign that said 'Cane Dewey.' And I saw other people around, as every moment in my life stopped and focused in on that sign and the pain that shot through my body became a distant memory--replaced by a thought which will be embedded in my skull until my dying day! Cane Dewey. Cane Dewey. Dewey Foley is a three-year-old little boy--you sick sons of bitches. You ripped out my heart, you ripped at my soul, you took everything I believed in and you flushed it down the damn toilet. You flushed my heart--you flushed my soul--and now it sickens me to see other people make the same mistake. You see, Tommy Dreamer, I have to listen to my little boy say every day, 'Daddy, I miss Georgia,' and I say, 'That's too bad, son because your dad traded in the Victorian house for a sweatbox on Long Island. Your dad traded in a hundred-thousand-dollar contract, guaranteed money, insurance, respect and the name on the dotted line of the greatest man in the world--to work for a scumbag who operates out of a little pissant pawnshop in Philadelphia.' You don't expect me to be bitter? Tommy, when you open up your heart, when you open up your soul and it gets shit on, it tends to make Jack a very mean boy. And so, I say to you--before I take these aggressions out on you, to look at your future and realize that this hardcore life is a lie, that these letters behind me are a blatant lie, that those fans who sit there and say, 'He's hardcore, he's hardcore, he's hardcore,' wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire, you selfish son of a bitch!

But I want you to understand, Tommy, though he's hurt you time and again, Raven wants you to understand that the hatred I have in here is not for you. No, no--far from it. You see, Tommy, I'm not doing this because I hate you--I love you, man! I only want the best for you--but when I hear that WCW called up your number and you said, 'No thank you'--well, it makes my blood run cold. As cold as that night in the ECW arena. And so I got a moral obligation--you see, Tommy, I'm on the path of righteousness and righteous men wield a lot of power. So if I've got to drag you by your face to that telephone and dial connect and say, 'Hello, Eric, it's me, Cactus, and though I know I've burned my bridge, and I'll never be taken back with open arms--I've got a wrestler who would gladly trade in his ECW shirt for a pair of green suspenders.' And Tommy, just think of that sound in your ear when Uncle Eric says, 'Welcome home, Tommy Dreamer, welcome home.' "

No comments:

I'm not sure if there's a point to this story but I'm going to tell it again.

My photo
India
I've been wilfully caught up in the self-defeating quest to get to know myself for years. I've never expected anything beneficial to result from such a quest. I tend to evoke extremely polarised reactions from people I get to know in passing. Consequently, only those people who know me inside-out would honestly claim that I'm a person who's just "alright." It's not a coincidence that the description I've laid out above has no fewer than, title included, eleven references to me (make that twelve). I'm affectionately referred to as "Ego." I think that last statement might have given away a tad too much. Welcome Aboard.

IHTRTRS ke pichle episode mein aapne dekha...

Tags

Blog Hits