Thursday, July 09, 2009

Notes From Late Night TV

No less than sixteen primetime Indian news channels telecast the Michael Jackson memorial service at the Staples Center a couple of nights ago. Sixteen is an enormous number and it is only upon flipping through every one of the sixteen channels that I realised how deep an image Michael Jackson had cast on the global retina.

I know everyone loves a good story and that there's a good chance that five or six of these news channels show the same thing at any given point on any given day. But that is precisely why I said sixteen. To me, that crosses the line between opportunistic scoop and oh-I've-got-to-see-this.

The memorial service was also everything that a memorial service should have been. I know a lot of the performances were incredibly average, but I think this was a case of not singing the right songs but one of what singing those songs meant. In a musical performance, you'd usually attempt to hear the person singing. On MJ memorial night, I looked only at the singers' eyes.

On a side note, I really, really like the new The Tonight Show advertisement - the one with Conan O'Brien running up a beach in slow motion. Unfortunately, the show itself sucks and even some usually 'safe' guests have just not turned out to be fun.

Oh yes, with this post, I also celebrate the return of the italic function on this blog. Until I get back to law school and my trusty old laptop, that is. Then again, maybe I'll make a trip to an internet place just to use the italic function.

In case that doesn't happen, <italic>. For good measure.

No comments:

I'm not sure if there's a point to this story but I'm going to tell it again.

My photo
India
I've been wilfully caught up in the self-defeating quest to get to know myself for years. I've never expected anything beneficial to result from such a quest. I tend to evoke extremely polarised reactions from people I get to know in passing. Consequently, only those people who know me inside-out would honestly claim that I'm a person who's just "alright." It's not a coincidence that the description I've laid out above has no fewer than, title included, eleven references to me (make that twelve). I'm affectionately referred to as "Ego." I think that last statement might have given away a tad too much. Welcome Aboard.

IHTRTRS ke pichle episode mein aapne dekha...

Tags

Blog Hits