Monday, November 26, 2012

Fresh Starts

As galling as it is to see Sebastien Vettel complete his three-peat at the age of 25, I have much respect for Adrian Newey for arresting Red Bull's early-season underperformance and turning around another World Championship-winning car. Newey's been screwing Ferrari and the best F1 driver in the world for fifteen years now - long may it continue. :-)

 
 
And while a lot of us on the silver side of things thought that Lewis Hamilton would twist the knife even further by pole-to-flagging his last race in the McLaren overalls, for once, it was his under-stated, infinitely more likeable teammate who held up his end of the bargain and ended the season exactly the way he started - with a race win. With that wonderful bit of symmetry pulling the curtain down on another ultimately fruitless season, at least the reassurance of having a clear-cut No. 1 in the team should launch us towards happier times. Even if it doesn't, here's another addition to the vast collection of podium photos for the record-books of a once-magnificent team.    
 
 
The pattern of Formula 1 for the foreseeable future is set. Let us carry on.
 
***
 
Australia drew the second Test with South Africa today, ultimately unable to pick up six wickets in the course of a whole day's play on a fifth day Adelaide wicket. Australia have had the better of both draws so far and it sets up a fascinating denouement in Perth next week. Adelaide was interesting without being outstanding - Warner, Clarke, Hussey, Smith and Du Plessis all scored hundreds in this match but I know that the one thing I will take away from this Test forever is:
 
NM Lyon 50-31-49-3.
 
Incredible. And sad. But more incredible than sad.   

1 comment:

Priyasha Saksena said...

"[a] once magnificent team".
Says it all.

I'm not sure if there's a point to this story but I'm going to tell it again.

My photo
India
I've been wilfully caught up in the self-defeating quest to get to know myself for years. I've never expected anything beneficial to result from such a quest. I tend to evoke extremely polarised reactions from people I get to know in passing. Consequently, only those people who know me inside-out would honestly claim that I'm a person who's just "alright." It's not a coincidence that the description I've laid out above has no fewer than, title included, eleven references to me (make that twelve). I'm affectionately referred to as "Ego." I think that last statement might have given away a tad too much. Welcome Aboard.

IHTRTRS ke pichle episode mein aapne dekha...

Tags

Blog Hits