Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Seventeen and oh...seventeen...and zero!"

Since Wrestlemania season is upon us, IGN has done something that ought to have been done a long time ago - they've ranked The Undertaker's 18 matches at Wrestlemania. As with most such lists, this one is highly controversial and I have my own bones to pick with it, but I shall do that at a forum where I am more likely to be adequately compensated for doing it.

I am thankful for the IGN compilation, however, not only for putting the Wrestlemania XXV match with Shawn Michaels at the top of that list (as most people would do) but also for drawing my attention to a magnificent video on that match, set to Snow Patrol's "Somewhere a Clock is Ticking". If you think that that's a bit of an odd fit, I urge you to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vya92DpkBU.

And while I am normally loath to ending with a quotation, occasions like this force my hand on these matters:

"...Yes, the WWE has amazing people who put together those clip reels, but because this match was so unbelievably good, it made everyone just want to relive it over and over. And that's why we love this shit. Because of how it makes us feel. And how the story gets told. And how athleticism turns into art. Because of all the intangibles that make it hard for us to ever fully be able to explain to other people why we love wrestling."

No comments:

I'm not sure if there's a point to this story but I'm going to tell it again.

My photo
India
I've been wilfully caught up in the self-defeating quest to get to know myself for years. I've never expected anything beneficial to result from such a quest. I tend to evoke extremely polarised reactions from people I get to know in passing. Consequently, only those people who know me inside-out would honestly claim that I'm a person who's just "alright." It's not a coincidence that the description I've laid out above has no fewer than, title included, eleven references to me (make that twelve). I'm affectionately referred to as "Ego." I think that last statement might have given away a tad too much. Welcome Aboard.

IHTRTRS ke pichle episode mein aapne dekha...

Tags

Blog Hits